What Is Remote Working?
Table of Contents
Since the internet began to explode in popularity at the turn of the century, remote and online working has only continued to grow alongside it. In the last two years especially, as a result of the coronavirus outbreak, remote and online work has had an explosion in popularity out of necessity. Despite the virus now coming under control somewhat, working from home seems to be a trend that will remain for many beyond the pandemic.
In this article, we’ll be going over what are some of the tips surrounding working from home efficiently, and how working from home can be beneficial to those who do it. So, without further introduction, let’s get straight into the tips for working from home that improve your remote working skills.
This content includes:
- What Is Remote Working ?
- Tips for Remote Working
- Pros and Cons of Remote Working
- Work from Home vs. Remote Work
- How to Find a Remote Job
- Statistics of Working from Home
What Is Remote Working?
Remote work, the newly discovered freedom, is a work style that allows you to step outside of the traditional office environment. It’s professional. Remote work is a style of work that shows employees and bosses that there’s no need to be in the conventional office to complete tasks.
In other words, remote work is a method of working remotely instead of going to the office daily. Employees can work wherever they want. In this way, employees have the chance to plan their days more accurately.
Tips for Making Remote Working More Efficient
When working from home it is important to keep tabs on a multitude of factors. Here, we’ll be listing and going over some of how you can ensure that your output when working is maximized, without harming your time and life too.
Working from home can be an odd experience for many. For those of us with the distractions of our home life constantly being ever-present, it can be quite the burden on our output in work, and thus, when not performing at our peak, we can be quite hard on ourselves. It is important to think of yourself positively, especially if you’re only starting to transition to working remotely. It is a new experience after all. As well as this, planning out your day can be of huge benefit to your overall work. For example, ensuring you have scheduled working and break times can maximize your total output throughout the day, so you are always fully charged.
At home, it can be difficult to have concise and clear instructions and communication with work colleagues, managers, etc. This is why all communication standards and boundaries need to have been established by those you work with or for. To ensure you’re not being swamped at home, setting clear communication times and hours in which you will be able to respond is vital. As well as this, ensuring that the ideal form of communication amongst specific workers is key. If someone understands better through text, call, or online meetings, make that known to ensure that everyone is getting the best possible outcome in terms of delivering or receiving information possible.
3. Make a Plan, Stay Loyal
Knowing what to do at what time of the day will be great for you. Therefore, have a plan and stick to it as much as possible. In this way, you’ll also maintain your work-life balance. Remember, one of the best things remote working gives you is flexibility. Don’t be alarmed when there are times when you cannot keep up with your plan. You’ll have time to make up for it. Or, maybe you’ll work extra days some days and have time to rest more the next day.
4. Don’t Be Stuck at Home
Being at home all the time will tire you after a while, both mentally and physically. Therefore, get out of the house, and move as much as possible. Let your body get the blood circulation it needs. Fresh air and natural light will be very good for your body. You can do this as a routine, like before or after work. Another way is to work outside some days. For example, go to your favorite coffee shop and work there. Don’t be stuck at home!
5. Overall Morale
It can be easy to lose sight of goals when working remotely. This is why it is important to keep in line with what your original intentions were. For example, if your company has a specific goal in mind, reminding yourself and others of that original goal can help keep everybody on the correct path. As well as this, your morale is of utmost importance. Taking time away from work to have chats with other colleagues about non-work-related topics of conversation, or people who are in the same location as you when working remotely, can help take the pressure off when working from home or a remote location.
It can also be quite difficult when constantly at home to ensure that your standards are kept. Grooming and keeping personal hygiene to as best of a standard as possible in the morning before getting started with working will make you feel better when starting the day, and thus in turn will improve your output as the day goes on.
Pros and Cons of Remote Working
Remote work, which has been trending recently, has many pros and cons.
What Are the Advantages of Remote Working?
- Saving Time: Employees working in traditional offices waste a lot of time commuting to work every day. Remote working eliminates this waste of time during the day. In other words, employees gain a significant amount of time. It also means financial savings. So, you save both time and money!
- Increase in Work Speed: Meeting times can be arranged more comfortably because teams don’t need to be in the same environment while working. This means that you cannot be summoned to the field suddenly. Another advantage is that a quicker solution can be found in an emergency.
- Reducing the Need for an Office: A huge advantage for employers. Businesses that increase their remote working capacity have started to make more profit. Because they don’t need big offices anymore, this means a lot of expense is gone. So, it provides serious savings.
- Recruitment Opportunities: Since it’s not required for the people working remotely to be local, the employee pool expands very seriously. It also means savings for the company because there’s no requirement to accommodate distant futures. This has been particularly beneficial for industries in competitive markets.
What Are the Disadvantages of Remote Working?
- Lack of Communication: When working remotely, there’s no chance to be physically together with your colleagues. This can cause some problems. Even just not being able to socialize is one of them. Apart from this, some problems may occur during work. This is the issue that many people who work remotely complain about the most—little communication and alienation with co-workers.
- Disruption of Work-Life Balance: Starting to work while having breakfast in the morning, actually starting work as soon as you wake up, can reduce the time you devote to your private life. You may want to see your home as a resting place. There must be certain limits.
- Distraction: A lot of distractions can happen at home while working remotely. For example, while you’re working, the dust on the floor catches your eye and you start cleaning. Or, you get distracted when your neighbors make noise. These can cause a lot of trouble, especially during meetings.
- Lack of Home Office: Having an area in your home that you use as an office while working remotely is both useful and almost necessary. This is also very important for maintaining a work-life balance. For this reason, if you don’t have such a room in your apartment, it’ll be tiring for you.
The Difference Between Work from Home and Remote Work
When it comes to working from home, something different can occur in everyone’s mind. For example, when you think of working from home, a person who has just woken up in pajamas and sitting at a desk comes to mind. Right? Remote work can take on different meanings in various situations. For example, you can take a day off for a day or two to accompany a patient and work from home. This is work from home, not remote work. Remote work is working in a place where the location isn’t specific, nor is it important. The remote worker, in general, always works in this way.
How to Find a Remote Job
If you’re wondering how to find remote jobs, you’ve come to the right place. Are you ready to work remote?
Work Remote: What Is a Remote Job?
In a summary, it is a position in which the worker is not physically present at the workplace. It can be an excellent way to work from home while saving money on transportation and increasing flexibility.
Here are some suggestions for you to find remote working jobs:
- Look for job boards that are specific to remote working.
- Bookmark the career pages of companies that allow remote work.
- When searching for jobs on LinkedIn, turn on the filters to remote jobs.
- Have your portfolio and resume carefully prepared and strong.
- If you want to work remotely, you’re going to encounter video interviews often. So, focus on improving your presentation skills to work remotely.
- You can also find part-time remote jobs if you have multiple projects to run.
We live in an age where we have access to almost everything. Therefore, finding a remote job isn’t as difficult as you might think if you have the board. You just decide whether you want to work remotely or not. And, don’t forget to search and look at the sites specially opened for remote working jobs postings.
Best Remote Job Boards
1. We Work Remotely
We Work Remotely is the largest remote working community. Besides remote job postings, you’ll also find guidance here. You can search for jobs by category and browse its blog as well. This site helps you a lot to find full time or part time remote jobs.
2. Working Nomads
Working Nomads is ideal for those who want to start working remotely. It collects the best remote job postings for you, thus facilitating your search. Don’t forget to turn on notifications to be notified immediately of job postings.
Sharing the best remote job postings for over 15 years. There is also a guide service. You can benefit from activities such as CV preparation seminars.
Another ideal site for remote job seekers. Here you can search for a job, read various articles, and take advantage of online courses. Another advantage of this site is that it offers career counseling. And at an affordable price!
A site where you can access many remote job postings. Create a profile and add your resume. Then you can start looking for a job to work remote.
Statistics Surrounding Working From Home
Now that we have some helpful ways to increase your work when working remotely from home out of the way, what evidence is there to show that working remotely or from home can have increased benefits? Below we have listed just some of the most prevalent facts surrounding how working remotely or from home can be of benefit to your or your employees.
Increase in Bettered Performance
For nine months, an experiment was conducted on 16,000 workers by Standford. The results of this study found evidence to prove that when working from home, the productivity of those working in their familiar and most comfortable environment produced general increases in productivity of up to 13 percent. These very same workers also showed a significant increase in their overall satisfaction with their work.
COVID’s Impact Signature
As mentioned earlier, the coronavirus has ensured that working remotely is now an essential and established part of life. Even with coronavirus becoming a stable part of everyday life, it seems that working remotely will remain a commonplace thing. Prodoscore when conducting research surrounding the impact that the original coronavirus outbreak had on work output found that since March of 2020, the output of quality in work had increased by up to 47 percent when compared to that of 2019, before the pandemic. This shows that working from home generally produces more beneficial results not just in the short term, but also in the long term.
There you have it. We hope this article has managed to help provide some insight into remote job meaning, how working remotely or from home can be of benefit to you as a worker, or to your employees as a potential manager. We also hope we have managed to establish continuing growth in popularity when it comes to the path that working remotely is on as it continues to become an established norm in society.