How to Apply for a Schengen Visa
Have you applied for a Schengen visa before? If you have not applied before or want to learn the details, this article is for you.
The visa procedures are different for each nationality. You first need to find out which Schengen visa you need. Schengen visas have various types according to their purpose. In addition, citizens of more than 60 countries can enter the Schengen Area without needing a visa and stay there for 90 days out of 180 days.
To travel freely in the Schengen Area, you should thoroughly learn how to get Schengen visa. You must meet the Schengen visa requirements and submit a complete application.
For a Europe visa application, stay tuned to this article where the Schengen visa application process is explained step by step!
How To Apply for Schengen Visa
1. Determine Which Schengen Visa Type You Need
Depending on the purpose of traveling to the Schengen Area, you need to determine which Schengen visa you will apply for.
Here are the Schengen visa types you can apply for:
- Tourist visa
- Business visa
- Transit visa
- Visa for visiting friend or family
- Visa for official visits
- Visa for sports or cultural events
- Visa for medical purposes
2. Learn Where To Apply
How and where you submit your visa application will vary depending on your country of residence procedures. The country you will go to in the Schengen Area will also guide you for visa procedures.
Here are the places where you can apply for Schengen visa:
- Embassy of the destination country
- One of the consulates of the destination country
- A visa center appointed by the embassy of the destination country
- Consulate or embassy of a country in a different Schengen Area where the embassy of the destination country outsources visa processing
The “destination country” refers to the country to which you must apply according to Schengen visa eligibility. The rules that determine this eligibility are:
- If you visit only one country in the Schengen Area, you must apply at that country’s consulate, embassy, or visa center
- If you are going to visit more than two countries in the Schengen Area:
-If you stay longer in a country, you should apply at that country’s consulate, embassy, or visa center.
-If you spend equal days in all countries you will travel to; you should apply to the consulate, embassy, or visa center of the country you go to first.
3. Find the Right Time To Apply
To apply for Schengen visa around the world, there is a period determined by the places where you can apply for a visa. This period is determined according to the processing time of the Schengen visa.
- The earliest time to apply for a Schengen visa is 6 months before visiting the Schengen Area
- The latest time to apply for a Schengen visa is 15 days before the trip
- The ideal time to apply for a Schengen visa is 3 weeks before the trip
4. Make an Appointment
To apply for Schengen visa, you must make an appointment for an interview.
Many countries now offer the opportunity for a Schengen visa online application. If you cannot make an appointment online, you need to make an appointment at the consulate or embassy of the country you are going to in the Schengen Area.
5. Fill in the Schengen Visa Online Application Form
You must download the Schengen visa online application form and fill it in thoroughly. The Schengen application form is in the same format for each country to which the application will be made.
The information you need to fill in the Schengen visa application form is as follows:
- Personal information
- Details of your trip to the Schengen Area
- Your purpose for entering the Schengen Area
The points you should pay attention to when filling out and sending the application form are as follows:
- Make sure you download the latest version of the application form
- Fill in all the information in the application form completely
- Do not leave any blank spaces in the application form. If blanks do not apply to your situation, fill them with No Answer
- After completing the application form, print two copies. Do not forget to sign both documents
6. Gather Necessary Documents
Gathering Schengen visa requirements is an essential part of the application process. We can examine the documents required for Schengen visa application in two groups.
The first group consists of the standard documents required for the visa application.
Required Documents for Europe Visa Application
- The Schengen visa online application form
- Valid passport
- Two identical photos
- Travel insurance policy for Schengen
- Entry-exit dates, flight numbers, round-trip reservation information, and flight routes in the Schengen Area
- Accommodation information and proof
- Evidence of financial means
The second group is the specific requirements that vary by visa type. These requirements vary depending on your travel purpose and the visa type you are applying for. There are also extra documents that countries in the Schengen Area require from applicants.
7. Attend Schengen Visa Interview
You must arrive at the institution on time for your Schengen visa appointment. You must deliver the Schengen visa application form and the documents you have collected to the relevant visa officer.
Schengen visa interview takes 10-15 minutes on average. During this time, detailed questions about the travel plan will be asked. You have to make sure your answers are clear and accurate. In addition, you should ensure that what you say is compatible with the information in the Schengen visa application form and the documents you collect.
Some questions you may be asked during the visa interview are:
- Which countries are you planning to travel to in the Schengen Area?
- Why do you want to visit the Schengen Area?
- What is your education status?
- Do you have friends or family members living in the Schengen Area?
- Are you married? If you are married, how long have you been married? What does your spouse do?
- Do you have a child? If yes, how many children are you and how old are they? What are your children doing?
- Who will pay for your visit to the Schengen Area, and how?
- How long will you stay in the Schengen Area?
- Do you have a job? Which company do you work for?
8. Pay Visa Fee
A non-refundable visa fee is required to complete the Schengen visa application.
Schengen Visa Application Fees
Countries included in the Schengen Area have standardized visa fees. Therefore, visa fees cannot be changed until the Schengen countries make a different decision.
2022 fee for a Schengen visa is €80 for an adult. Also, costs vary according to the age of child visitors. You do not need to pay for some special categories. Before making a payment, check which category you belong to, exemptions and discounts.
9. Wait for Response of Schengen Visa Application
Now, it’s time to wait to get a response to your Schengen visa application. In most cases, it takes no more than 15 days for the visa application to be answered. This situation may vary according to the citizens of some countries, and it may take up to 45 days for a response.
If the Schengen visa application is approved:
- If you get your Schengen visa, ensure you understand the length of your stay in Europe and the labels attached to your visa. Otherwise, there will be some sanctions for exceeding the time given to you in the Schengen Area.
If the application for Schengen visa is rejected:
- If your Schengen visa application is not approved, carefully read why you and try to eliminate the reasons for rejection in the following application. Also, if you think there is no problem with your visa application, you can always object to the visa result.